UPDATE! Since we last wrote, Axis360 introduced a new, all-in-one app to make it even easier to read a book electronically. Check out the update below.
Ten reasons why you should check out our new digital media library Axis360—our next venture in providing students and staff anytime, anywhere learning opportunities.
10. Our Magic Wall eases your search for the ebook that’s right for you. It looks and functions a little bit like Netflix. You know, the popular video streaming website. If you hover over the book thumbnails, a pop-up will give you a snapshot of info. about the title, including whether or not it is available for checkout.
9. More than 20,000 titles comprise this shared collection, which is maintained by eRead Illinois, a grant-funded project designed to expand book access throughout the state. They have it all: adult fiction and nonfiction, and teen fiction and nonfiction.
This is what it looks like when you search using an iPhone:
8. You can check out an ebook any time of day! 4:31 a.m. 10:47 p.m. Whenever!
7. Over time, we’ll add ebooks and audiobooks to our collection that are exclusively available for D117 students and staff to check out. For example, when the 2016Abraham Lincoln Award finalists were announced, we purchased one copy of each.
6. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, let us know! eRead Illinois appreciates book recommendations to add to the system, and they try to purchase enough copies to meet the demand. For instance, they own 29 copies of Gone Girl.
5. You can download ebooks from Axis360 using any of the following devices. Amazing! Everyone will need to download the Axis360 app, which will allow you to browse the collection, download ebooks, or listen to audiobooks. Learn more in their App Zone or by visiting the Axis360 YouTube channel to watch tutorials.
4. You can check out an ebook for up to 21 days, or three weeks. You also can place a hold on an ebook, and Axis360 will send you an email when it becomes available.
3. After you finish a book, you can write a review and give the book a rating, which will help other readers decide whether or not the story will be worth their time. You also can access reviews from publishers and other readers.
2. Maybe reading an ebook sounds foreign, intimidating, or flat-out unenjoyable to you. But remember this: A story is a story is a story no matter if you read it in print or electronically. Venture out of your comfort zone and discover the convenience of reading ebooks on your devices. We will help you along the way.
1. You tell us.
Signing up is easy!
All you need to do to get started is click “Login” in the top right corner of our Axis360 homepage. You also can do this in the app. Although this link is available on our ILC pages, you also might want to bookmark it—or add it to your Symbaloo.
Where it says Library Card ID, type Firstname.Lastname (be sure to capitalize the first letter of your first and last name). For staff, the PIN is chsdLastname (be sure to capitalize last name). Students also use Firstname.Lastname for their Library Card ID, but they use Chsd followed by their student ID number for their PIN.
When searching for your library, search “Community High School District 117.” Once you are logged in, you can browse, download, read, repeat.
Again, visit the App Zone or the YouTube channel for tips, or you can always ask Kellie (email@example.com) or Barb (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The ILC blog keeps Lakes students and staff up to date with news and events related to reading, research, technology, and more.
Contact us with topic suggestions or to contribute your own post to the ILC blog.